Christmas safety and pets
Christmas is family time and for most of us our pets are part of family celebrations. Nearly all of my friends have a little something wrapped for their fur-friend on Christmas day and include their pets in their festivities
With all the hustle of preparation, the joys of family and friends arriving, exchanging gifts and finally sitting down to enjoy festive fare and drinks, it is easy to not notice the mischief, or trouble that the family pet may get up to.
With a little planning and supervision mishaps and mayhem can be avoided this Christmas.
There is nothing more enticing to a cat than a tree to climb and how easy it that symmetrical pine tree – plastic or real. The trouble is that the trees were meant to have a star on top, not a 3kg cat, and the cat and tree will likely come toppling over. Cats rarely listen to requests not to do something so it is best to keep the tree and the cat in separate rooms or to make sure the tree is secured.
Tree decorations look like dangly toys to cats, and some dogs. If you have pets it is better to use unbreakable decorations rather than glass baubles. The glass used to make the baubles is very fine and splinters can be hard to remove from pads, or worse if swallowed.Tinsel is glittery and just begs to be played with. However it is usually made of metal or plastic and can cause problems if swallowed.
Gifts under the tree? Now what self respecting dog could resist opening a gift or two? Not only will this wreck your gift-giving but the contents of some gifts may be harmful to the dog.
Make sure that pets are securely confined when guests are arriving. If young children are visiting, supervise your pets at all times or confine them away from the children. Children can over stimulate pets, especially at a time when the children themselves are likely to be over-excited
Guests sometimes neglect to shut gates and doors. Make sure your pets are secure and cannot escape your property.
Well-meaning people often share their Christmas dinner with the dog but be do be careful. Rich food, or even just over-indulging, is just as bad for dogs as it is for us- it can cause tummy upsets and pancreatitis. Cooked bones can splinter and get caught in the mouth or gut. Onions, both raw and cooked are toxic to dogs as are macadamia nuts. Chocolate is also toxic to dogs ( particularly cooking chocolate) and should never be given.
During all the festivity do remember to check on your pets and make sure that they are cool, comfortable and have fresh water. I suggest giving them a safe treat and putting them somewhere quiet during meal time.
<< view other articles in this category